1. I’ve gone right off cars in the last two years; this has been hugely liberating and cost saving.
2. I still long to own an Apple Macintosh Plus.
3. My favourite tree is the Horse Chestnut.
4. My favourite wood is Beech.
5. I once thought it might be quite cool to be called ‘Cornelius’ – I was very young at the time.
6. “Consider the lilies of the field” seems ever more relevant.
7. My favourite song for a long time has been “Isn’t she lovely” by Stevie Wonder. I first heard it at a time when I felt completly fulfilled; I play it when I need to lift my mood. I think it’s the tune, less so the lyrics.
8. I once dreamt of starting a new life as a chair bodger.
9. I have a photo of me standing on the roof of a very famous building.
10. I own two teddy bears; one from when I was 6 months old.
11. I used to fixate on the remnants of previous blackboard writings when I was at school, some would remain in situ for a whole year because the teacher was too short or lazy to rub out that last little bit – grrr.
12. I prefer blackboards to whiteboards.
13. I intend to appear naked in public before I am sixty.
14. I have three visible scars that I’m aware of.
15. Making things is when I feel most alive, yet I find it very difficult to make things.
16. I like a nice drop of port now n again.
17. I think I may need some active assistance if I am not to become a Grumpy Old Man.
18. My favourite plastic is Bakelite closely followed by Polymethyl Methacrylate (especially purple and red).
19. Tomatoes hold a disproportionate attraction for me.
20. By nature, I’m not a member of The Herd but I’ve wondered what it might be like.
21. My favourite bird is the Blue Tit because they are cheeky, never sit still and always appear cheerful.
22. I knew a boy at school called ‘Birdseye’, he used to stick his tongue out when he was drawing.
23. I can remain impassive when all around me are startled by a loud noise.
24. I now believe that life is too short for instant coffee.
25. One of my early memories is laying on the back seat of my Dad’s car driving through town at night looking up at the streetlights, thinking I was in New York.
26. I have no time for messy drunks, drama queens or loud and vexatious persons.
27. My idea of God is now very nebulous but I haven’t given up on It yet.
28. “At this moment in time” puts me right off anyone using that phrase; I’m reminded of so many inarticulate football managers, pundits, third rate politicians and union representatives.
29. I loathe football pundits talking endless guff and getting paid to do it.
30. I haven’t knowingly eaten anything with legs for about twenty years.
31. I own no jewellery.
32. I had eight aunts and nine uncles when I started out, I only ever really liked one aunt; all of the others were slightly weird or scary in some way.
33. Favourite cake: carrot.
34. I’m not always good at keeping my mouth shut.
35. The Love of my Life has been hiding for most of it so far it seems.
36. I’m sorry, I don’t do cricket, cricket smalltalk or cricket male bonding; ditto golf, only moreso.
37. Kettle Chips or Pringles would do, no flavours please, just salt.
38. I’m a very good listener but if you misuse the facility it will be withdrawn.
39. I look for hidden meanings.
40. Poorly aligned pictures on a wall drive me to distraction.
41. I fell in love with freshly ground black pepper during a memorably simple meal with my two lovely housemates who lived upstairs on Rochdale Road; I’m now addicted.
42. The best place I ever visited was Uluru – I think I could quite happily live there but it would be ecologically unjustifiable; I consider it a miracle I was able to even travel there twice.
43. Blogging has changed my life for the better.
44. I used to abhor false sincerity but have now mellowed enough to see it as social lubrication.
45. Chocolate usually does the trick (Cadbury’s Dairy Milk is not chocolate in my opinion).
46. I won’t be doing another list like this until 2012.